Sunday, January 4, 2009

Chris's Critical Beatdown: 808s and Heartbreak


Some people have suggested that I write a review on Kanye's newest offering to the world "808s and Heartbreak".  Let me first and foremost say that I am a Kanye fan, so I'm not just going to shit on the album because Kanye is a cocky bastard.  With that being said, on to the heartbreak.  Its important to keep in mind that 808s is a concept album, so unlike his major releases its just Kanye f--kin around with sounds that he likes and decided that it was good enough to release.  Another important thing to realize is that Kanye cannot, I repeat, cannot sing.  So again, if you are looking for some shit that will sound like Raheem DeVaughn, you will be disappointed. Don't fret, however, you can definitely still cry in your keffiayh scarf to this music.  I have determined that any male that has gone through any type of heartbreak and is man enough to admit it will feel something on this album.  You can try and hate, but I guarantee once you start listening to it for real, your ass will go from nodding your head on "Welcome to Heartbreak", to jumping up and down with your arms out, spinning as you jump, singing at the top of your lungs in a shitty falsetto "OK OKAAAAAAY! OK OKAAAAAAAAY! YOU NEED TO STOP IT NOW!" once "Robocop" comes on.  The beats are killer, the biggest knock against the project is every song is little more than a hook and a bridge.  No real verses, no real depth.  I have heard people tell me they "don't get 808s and Heartbreak", and to that I say "What the f--k is there not to get?? Its real straight forward. Dude lost his mom to botched plastic surgery then broke up with his fiance... then decided to make an album about that shit using auto-tune and some tribal ass drums. He isn't speaking in code when he said 'You worry about the wrong things'..."  Like I said, if you are looking for the musical stylings of say a Carl Thomas, this is not the album for you. But if you want to listen to Kanye whine over some tight ass beats using auto-tune this is a must cop.  

Beats: ©©©©©
Lyrics: ©©
Dance-ability: ©
Cry-ability: ©©©©©
Overall: ©©©©

I would say, if you like "Heartless" then cop it.  Tracks to bang: Say You Will, Welcome to Heartbreak, Heartless, Paranoid (thats my SHIT!), Street Lights

0 comments: